Thursday, August 4, 2011

Testing Day 1

August 1st, 2011
Today is Testing Day 1 and I have a full day of appointments scheduled.  My wonderful husband has taken the day off work to watch the boys….Thank You Brad!!  I left my house around 615 am for my first appointment.  I have my 24 hour urine collection and stool samples in a large shopping bag ready to turn in.  I am praying, “Please God, do not let me get pulled over or get in an accident”, I kept thinking how embarrassing it would be for someone to see that I have these things in my car…HA! After being stuck in Dallas traffic for over an hour, I arrive at the Dallas Transplant Center on Viceroy.  I am told to go in the bathroom and give a urine sample.  I come out of the bathroom and am informed I am at the wrong office!  There was a typo on my paperwork; I was actually supposed to be at the Live Oak office.  I began to panic a little because I had no idea where the Live Oak office was and I knew that meant having to get back in rush hour traffic.  I found my way to the Live Oak office, and had blood drawn for my fasting & glucose labs.  Then I headed back to the Viceroy office.  I was given a full exam with the nurse and doctor.  They took my blood pressure, weight, & temp.  I was given an EKG and had a consult with the Nephrologists (kidney doc).  Next, I had more blood work done.  At 1pm I attended a donor info class, taught by a nurse at the transplant center.  Then a nurse came in the room and said she needed to redo my EKG because my “first one did not look right.”I had a moment of concern, what did she mean, it did not look right??  So, I had another EKG and she said it looked great.  She said the machine had been acting up and giving everyone the same readings….wish she had explained that sooner, I was concerned there was something wrong with me!  Everything turned out fine and I was told my Glucose test results came back really good (88).  At 230, I had an appointment at Baylor with the Living Donor Advocate, Social Worker, and Transplant Surgeon.   I really enjoyed meeting the surgeon and the social worker, they both put at ease any fears I have been feeling.  The surgeon informed me that his staff is “my team.”  He said Gary would be in an operating room next to mine with his own team.  He said he felt I was a good candidate for surgery because in his words, “I am a young, thin female”…….I like him already!!  He also said that women who have given birth usually recover the faster, because once you have given birth giving a kidney is no big deal…..we will see!  The surgery will be done laparoscopic.  The surgeon will do 3 small incisions to get his scope and instruments in, they will inflate my stomach with CO2 (gas) and make a larger incision in the lower pubic line area were the Doc will use his hands to remove my kidney….how cool is that!?  I am told a major side affect of surgery is bloating and gas for quite some time after surgery due to all the CO2 used to inflate my stomach.  So to all those planning to visit…..beware of the gas!  Ha-ha!!  I was excited to learn that my social worker goes to my church…..God makes no mistakes!  I was asked to watch a 30 min video about transplant surgery.  And, finally I met with the Living Donor Advocate, Jennifer.  She was very helpful in answering any questions I had.  Finally, at 530PM my appointments for the day were done.  I felt a little worn out and defiantly felt like I had information overload!!  Even with all of the information I had been given on risks and complications I am still 100% sure that I want to do this!  I have faith that God brought me into this journey and he will see me through!!

No comments:

Post a Comment