Monday, August 8, 2011

Kidney School

August 8, 2011
I thought I would share a little of the knowledge I have learned in this process.  I have done a TON of research & spoken with several doctors.  I’m sure some of you may have questions about donating a kidney and life with one kidney. 
The kidneys functions to remove waste and excess fluid from the body.  The kidney is the organ most commonly given by a living donor.  There are several advantages of a living donation compared to transplants from deceased donors.  A kidney from a living donor is more likely to begin functioning immediately; a kidney from a deceased donor will usually require dialysis for some time after surgery.  Also, a living donor will undergo extensive testing that a deceased donor will not.  So, you may be wondering what is life like with one kidney?  I am told it is almost exactly the same as living with 2 kidneys.  The most important thing is to maintain good kidney health and to protect the single remaining kidney.  The doctor has stressed the importance of staying well hydrated and healthy after kidney donation.  High blood pressure and diabetes are a few health issues that can lead to kidney disease.  I will need to maintain a healthy diet low in protein and salt.  As many of you know, I enjoy running I wanted to make sure that I would still be able to run long distances again someday.  The doctor said I could return to running in about 12 weeks, just have to stay hydrated!  There is a list of medications to avoid with one kidney.  Basically, all NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Aleve, Advil, a few antibiotics, and intravenous dyes (like the kind used for a CAT SCAN).  These drugs are all very hard for the kidney to process and can be damaging.  Sounds like Tylenol may be one of the few safe drugs.  Even though most of us are born with 2 kidneys, it is not uncommon for some to be born with only one kidney and live a completely healthy life.  Once the kidney is removed, the single kidney will grow to do the necessary work.  In as little as 3 months after surgery my remaining kidney will increase in size by as much as 33%!  What amazing bodies God has given us!! 
If you would like more info on kidney donation check out these helpful websites:     www.kidney.org, www.livingdonor101.com, www.lkdn.org
I am hoping this week goes by quickly!  I should have a decision from the Transplant Committee by the end of the week!  Please continue to pray for Gary and his family!!
For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:11




No comments:

Post a Comment