Monday, August 22, 2011

Bump in the Road

August 22, 2011
Well, we have hit a small “bump in the road”.  When I got a call today from Val, my transplant coordinator, I was expecting her to have a surgery date for me.  Instead she said, “We need to do an arteriogram.”  An arteriogram is a special type of x-ray that will help give a better view of my arteries surrounding my kidneys.  Apparently, I have two arteries coming from my kidneys not just one.  I am told this is not uncommon; however, can sometimes make things more difficult in surgery.  The surgeon needs some measurements of these arteries and needs to see how they flow.  Depending on the size of my arteries, how they flow, or where they are placed, this test will determine if surgery can still take place.  So, I am scheduled for an arteriogram on Thursday at 6am at Baylor.  Here is what I am being told about this procedure, first they will give me a sedative to put me to sleep.  Then, they will insert a long catheter, epidural-like, needle into the large artery in my groin area. Next, radioactive dye is inserted through the catheter & x-rays are taken of the arteries.  I am told the worst part of the procedure is the hours following.  Since this is a major artery, they will need to apply a lot of pressure to ensure that it does not bleed out.  I will have a pressure bandage put on & then a sand bag placed on my leg.  I will be unable to bend my leg and have to lie flat for 4-6hrs following this procedure….sounds fun, right?  I have to admit, I am sort of freaking out over this!  I was fine with a surgery that I knew would take place a month from now……I was preparing for that.  But I was not prepared to be put under this week!  While I am extremely nervous, I have faith that everything will work out!  I am thankful that the surgeon is being thorough and wants to make certain of what he is dealing with, prior to surgery.  I have been told from other living donors that this procedure is somewhat common.  My heart sank today, when I had to call Christy to let her know that there would be a hold in scheduling the surgery.  I can only imagine the emotions Christy & Gary must be feeling during this entire process.  
I am just reminding myself that God is in control, and everything will work according to his plan!  Please continue praying for all of us!  Please pray that my nerves & fears will be calmed for this upcoming procedure.   
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Psalm 27:14

No comments:

Post a Comment