Thursday, August 4, 2011

How My Journey Began

Spring 2011
I first met the McNiel’s thru the Crossing Baptist Church, almost 7 years ago.  Both of our families have since moved on to different churches.  I have kept up with Gary’s health issues through his wife, Christy on facebook and through posts on her blog.   Although, we have never gotten to know the McNiel family very well, it has always been clear that they are an amazing family who loves God.  Gary & Christy’s faith always seemed to amaze me.  With all they have been put through, Christy said she “knew God had a plan and would not leave them blowing in the wind.” Gary & Christy have 2 sweet children, Sarah & Andrew.  Their beautiful daughter Sarah receives infusions monthly due to an immune deficiency.  Gary was diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease in his 20’s.  In 2008, Gary began Dialysis and is now on Dialysis 3 times a week.  I first learned that Gary needed a kidney transplant several years ago, but never imagined I was the one to give him it to him.  It has been several years since I have seen the McNiel family.  In February, I read a post in Christy’s blog that broke my heart.  Gary, an assistant principal, was being let go due to budget cut backs.  As you can imagine, he has struggled to find another job, due to having to take off work 3 days a week for Dialysis.  I learned Gary needed a transplant from a donor with Type O blood….I am O+.  At that very moment I felt God tapping me on the shoulder telling me I was the one to donate a kidney to Gary.  I have to admit, this was not easy for me to accept.  I spent a lot of time in prayer over the next few months.  It sounded crazy to me to give one of my organs away.  Time passed and I tried not to think about it, but God has a funny way of reminding us of what he has called us to do.  It would be little things, a song on the radio, or a story on the news about someone who was a living donor that would make me think of Gary.  I argued with God….I asked, “Why did you choose me God?”  I did not think I could do this.  I am not sure exactly what one thing changed my mind.  But, after many hours spent in prayer, God showed me that I COULD DO THIS!  I felt so close to God when I finally put all of my trust in him.  I know without a doubt that God has called me to be a living donor! 

The Lord leads with unfailing love and faithfulness all who keep his covenant and obey his demands. (Psalm 25:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment