Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sharing the News

July 19th 2011
Before I could offer to be a donor, I had to make sure Brad was on board.  We spent time discussing it, I’m sure he was not totally convinced right away.  But after listening to me, he replied “Vanessa, If God has called you to do something, who am I to stand in the way.” I always knew I had the best husband ever!!  I have to take a moment to say that I am so thankful for Brad!  He has always supported anything I have ever wanted to do.  When I wanted to quit my job and be a stay-at-home mom he said, I’m sure we can find a way to make it work….and he did!  And, since returning to school he has been my biggest support, encouraging me the whole way.  Now, with being a donor he tells me everyday how proud he is of me! I thank God for you Brad & I love you so very much!!
On June 23rd, I contacted Christy and let her know I was interested in being a donor.  On July 13th, I had a blood test to see if I was a match.  Gary & I met at the Dallas Transplant Center for a blood test.  We were told it would take about 2-3 weeks for the results.  In less than a week I got a phone call from the transplant center, she said “We got your results; you and Gary are a compatible match!”  I never had any doubt, I knew God had called me for a reason and I was certain we would be a match.  The transplant center keeps everything confidential and lets the donor pass on any info that they wish to the recipient.  So, I had the pleasure of calling Gary to let him know we are a match.  I called the McNiels on their home phone, they both happened to pick up the phone in different rooms of the house, I got to tell them both at the same time that we were a match….that moment was priceless!!  That day I felt a peace like I have never felt before.  I cannot tell you how wonderful it feels to know that I am following God’s plan for my life!!  People keep saying what an amazing person I am and how much courage this takes, I don’t really think of it that way.  I think I am just doing what I would hope someone would do for me….following the Golden Rule, I guess.  I have been told I am a blessing to this family….. but I honestly feel like I am the one being blessed, by allowing God to use me!!

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them. (Romans 8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment