Monday, August 29, 2011

Good News

August 29, 2011
We can move forward with surgery!!  Surgery will most likely take place on September 29th, just waiting to hear a confirmation of time.  We should know a definite surgery date and time by Wednesday. My transplant coordinator said the results of my arteriogram looked great.  It is always preferred to take the left kidney, so they will give my left kidney to Gary.  While my left kidney does have 2 arteries, they said this is pretty common & would not be a problem.  It was an unbelievable & overwhelming feeling to be able to share this news with Gary today!  He said he is going to “start the countdown of dialysis days remaining.”  It is my prayer that everything works properly after surgery & Gary never has to go through dialysis again!   
I want to take a moment to say, “Thank You!!”  I am truly touched by everyone’s love & support during this process.  I created this blog to keep my friends & family updated on the process.  However, it has been used in ways I would never have imagined.  In less than a month, this blog has been viewed over 1500 times, in 4 different countries….WOW!  I have received countless emails, text messages & phone calls from people I have not seen in years and even people I have never met.  People are letting me know how touched they are by mine & Gary’s story.  God’s hand is in everything & He works in amazing ways!!  I greatly appreciate all the kind words & prayers!  As Christi said to me the other day, “We have lots of people praying!”  I can sure feel those prayers! 
As you all know I honestly felt called by God to be a donor for Gary.  I am the first to admit that I have ignored hundreds of other “callings” from God.  I would typically make excuses; “not now God”, “I don’t think I can”, “I’m too busy God”.  I really do believe that God calls on each of us daily.  He calls us to be a better spouse, a better parent, or a better friend…......what is God calling you to do?  I am not sure what made me willing to answer this particular call from God, but I feel that through time spent in prayer my heart was open to God’s plan! By following God’s plan, I have already been blessed in more ways than I could ever have imagined!  Please continue to pray for the McNiel family and mine as we prepare for surgery! 
 “It is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa ~ Gary's sister Julie, is one of my best friends! I've known the family since Gary was a little boy. I saw first-hand what their mom, Elaine, endured on a daily basis from being on dialysis for years. Your gift is truly a miracle blessed through our God! I am so thankful that you answered the call - may you & Brad, Gary & Christy continue to feel comfort and peace during this journey.

    Vickie Chamness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa,
    I have been reading your blog since you started writing it. There are few blogs out there that explain the process from beginning to end. I really appreciate you writing each day. The reason I am commenting is because I am also donating a kidney! I started back in June and it has been a long process just to get approved. I have had to redo several tests and additional tests. I found out Friday afternoon that the committee had approved me for surgery and that my surgery date is scheduled for September 29! I could not believe my eyes when I saw your blog this afternoon. I truly believe that God has placed your blog in my path because when I felt so alone or hopeless, I was able to read your blogs and your scriptures and that got me through the waiting! Thank you so much for your inspiration through your words. By the way.... we will be at the same hospital in Dallas at Baylor! Val is also my coordinator! It is truly what I considered a Godly plan! Maybe we can meet! I would love that!
    Thank again,
    Dana Ladd
    dladd@reg8.net

    ReplyDelete