Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Setback

September 28, 2011
Today was a very disappointing day…..surgery has been put on hold.  I don’t know if I can put into words how I am feeling right now.  I had an appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Campsen, to ask any last minute questions.  Everything seemed fine while I was in his office.  However, on my way home I got a phone call from Dr Campsen.  He asked if I could come back to his office to discuss my lab results.  It turns out that I had an elevated bilirubin count.  Bilirubin is produced when the liver beaks down old red blood cells.  A high bilirubin count can mean several things.  Dr. Campsen said for me it could mean one of 3 things, it could be stress induced (obviously I am stressed), It could mean something is wrong with my gall bladder, or it could be something called Gilbert’s disease.  If stress is causing my billirubin count to be elevated, they are concerned how my body would handle the stress of surgery.  Dr. Campsen said if the liver becomes so stressed during surgery it could cause my liver to fail.  If it is my gallbladder they will have to remove it before we can proceed with surgery. The last possibility, Gilbert’s disease is the one that I am actually hoping for.  Gilbert’s disease is disorder that affects about 5% of the population; it causes elevated bilirubin counts without being a danger. If it is Gilbert’s disease, we could proceed with surgery in the very near future.  So, I need to have MORE testing done.  I am waiting to hear back from Dr. Campsen’s office on when exactly my test will be scheduled.  They are hoping to have me come in sometime in the next few days for an ultrasound of my gall bladder and bile ducts; and of course more blood work.  I will meet with a hematologist on Monday; he will review my results and determine if we can move forward with surgery.  If cleared, we could have surgery next Thursday.  While I am thankful that the Doctors want to make certain that everything is safe and not put Gary or I in any danger, I am devastated. 
Gary and I both had appointments with the surgeon today.  When I saw Gary this morning he had just come from dialysis.  I said to him, “I bet you are excited that you just had your last dialysis!”  Needless to say, it was heartbreaking when I had to call Gary and tell him the bad news.  I feel horrible for Gary and his family; I can only imagine what they must be feeling. Gary and Christy are two of the most positive people I know.  They both assured me that God is in control and everything will go according to His plan.  The doctor did tell me that he still feels I am a great candidate for surgery and he feels that everything will be fine.  I told him, “I know everything will be fine because God has called me to do this and I know that Gary is meant to have my kidney.”  I know God’s plan will continue for Gary & me and I am certain there is a reason for this.  This was an emotionally draining day for both my family and the McNeil’s.  I am asking that everyone please pray hard for Gary and me!! I know that God is in control, but I feel He is testing my faith.  I am trying to stay strong and give it all to God!!
“Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.”  Mathew 11:28

Today was not all bad; I did get the pleasure of meeting Dana. Dana is the sweet woman I met through my blog who is also a donor.  I know God makes no mistakes and I am certain he crossed mine and Dana’s paths for a reason.  Dana is a very special woman who has a heart for God.  Dana will have surgery tomorrow.  Please keep her and Jennifer in your prayers!!

Me and My new dear friend Dana

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa,
    I am so sorry what has happened. I know that God is in control even when we don't understand. Steve and I have been praying for you Brad since I talked to you and I will continue to pray that your tests will be fine and you will be donating on Thursday. I so enjoyed meeting you today and instantly felt as if I had known you all my life! You are a precious and thoughtful person and one whom God is going to bless tremousdously. I know this is devastating but I also know that as Christians, things happened that we do not understand. Please remain strong and trust in the Lord and know that his timing is perfect! I am going to pray for your test results and also for your classes. Thank you for meeting me and becoming a part if my life. Out friendship has just started!:)

    ReplyDelete